Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I'd still be fixing a bucket of bolts.

     I did some corrections to my last repair job on my car.  I replaced the belts a while back but, I didn't make sure they were tight enough so as not to cause them to slip.  So my car would occasionally make loud squealing sounds.  This for some reason, like my old 200SX Datsun burning oil, made me embarrassed to drive around.  Unlike replacing the engine block to fix the Datsun, this problem was much simpler.  Tighten down the fly wheel bolt to the fan belt, and loosen and re-position the alternator on the drive belt.  The only thing that makes this difficult is the Japanese have much smaller hands than I do.  I got it all done though so the car is no longer making that screaming like a small animal being skinned alive.
   Though even Han had to fix his ship constantly.  There is a sense of pride in knowing you can fix your own car for minor repairs.  I think people that have new cars that they trade in before they need to do real up keep on their cars are missing out on the kind of training you'll need for the zombie apocalypse.   Granted I am not saying I am an expert and fixing all things about my car.  Just a few weeks ago I gave up and took my car into a shop to get it fixed because I couldn't take the time to fix it because I was on a time limit and a mechanic can find out what is wrong much faster than I can.  But just knowing that I can fix my car if there are issues with it make me feel pretty freaking cool that I did it myself and it is staying fixed.  I suppose that will translate over to home ownership as well.
    I guess that reason is why I like to have cars that are not brand new.  I mean when I had my brand new car, yeah it was nice to have a car all shiny and new no worries about anything wrong with it.  But it was also boring.  I probably can blame the fact that my father and brother were always fixing cars.  I know how to take apart a  '76 VW Bug, a '81 Doge Ram Van, and an '81 Nissan Datsun 200SX.  Because we kept most of those gars running into the late '90s
    NO NO! THIS ONE GOES THERE, THAT ONE GOES THERE! GOT IT?
You like me because I'm a scoundrel.

1 comment:

  1. Good, now that you have a garage and time you can take the 200SX and refurbish it.

    ReplyDelete